Provided by Outlook Video
Founded in 1987, Outlook Video is a program of the Billy DeFrank LGBTQ+ Community Center and is volunteer-run. The Outlook Video team consists of members of the LGBTQ+ community and allies interested in all aspects of video production on LGBTQ+ issues, with experience levels ranging from amateur to professional.
Shows are recorded monthly in the studios of CreaTV in San Jose, California. Formerly, shows were produced at KMVT studio in Mountain View. Outlook Video cablecasts throughout the Silicon Valley, Sacramento, and a few places outside of California. Current and archive shows are available for viewing on YouTube at YouTube.com/OutlookVideo
Committed to increasing the number of creative voices in the LGBTQ+ community, members work on all aspects of the show, such as producing field reports, scripting, anchoring, camera work, studio production, directing, editing, and post production.
The scope of topics and events covered by Outlook Video reflect the diversity of our community. Regular show segments include reviews and clips of LGBTQ+ films, studio interviews highlighting members of our community in the performing, literary, and visual arts, interviews with health professionals, commentaries on current issues, “mini” fashion shows, and various field reports. Field report projects have included Gay Pride events throughout California, Castro Street Fair, Folsom Street Fair, the Bay Area Regional Gay Rodeo, 1993 March on Washington, Gay Games, Stonewall 25 and Gay Pride festivals in other countries.
From 1990 to 1998, Outlook Video was an operating unit of the Jon Sims Center for the Arts. In 1998, we switched the affiliation to the Billy DeFrank LGBTQ+ Community Center.
Outlook Video has earned numerous awards in several local and national video competitions since 1994.
- 1995: First of many BACE Award Winner, Talk Show Series category. BACE is Bay Area Cable Excellence.
- 1998: First WAVE Award, Community Issues. WAVE is Western Access Video Excellence, Alliance for Community Media -Western Region
- 2002: first Hometown Media Awards, Gay and Lesbian Talk Show. Hometown is a Alliance for Community Media: National
- 2011: CreaTiVe Award, Citizen Journalist. CreaTiVe is hosted by CreaTV San Jose.
- 2015: SF Commons Award, Community Content. SF Commons is hosted by San Francisco Community Access.
- Phil Tuggle 1987-1990
- David Conger 1990-1993
- Paul Falworth 1993-1994
- Phillip Moss 1994-1995
- Ken Sullivan-Martin 1995-2004
- Kim Lawson 2002-2019
- Eric Chong 2008-present
- December 1987: Outlook TV established at KMVT studio in Mountain View
- February 1988: Outlook Video airs first show
- May 2010: Outlook Video moves production to CreaTV San Jose